Thursday, October 4, 2007

putting you under within

keep art alive; art by stella im hultberg

sleepless numbers click forth and back
as my eyes sting to focus
far too blurry to close again
counting seconds instead
wait for them to turn into days

breath's gone honey thick
sticking at the turn of my tongue
while my arms feel foreign
turned upside down wrong
seems now they only know how to wrap around you

not long past i clung to moments of solitary confinement
singing along to a spun track list set to random
my voice the only company in between walls and window seats
but now the breaks between become wide grooves to fall into
begging for someone to throw me back the keys

each finger misses the touch of your skin
that electric echo turning tricks up your sleeve
aching for the breath exchange of words muffled in bedsheets
our scents weaving into a memorized cohesion of us
left to linger behind everywhere

yet now we slip slowly into the curse of invading time
as i sit trying to fold myself into a half-licked envelope of possibility
tossing magic spells and counting cards off some strange dealer's hand
deciding whatever hand me down pawn shop trade off it takes
will be well worth the admission of a clear path return to you
(written by me)

you on my mind in my sleep ~ richard ashcroft

No comments: