Wednesday, February 27, 2008

toss me a cigarette

"i'm lost, i said, though i knew she was sleeping,
i'm empty and aching,
and i dont know why."


this is one of those songs that i remember vividly from my childhood, and yet, despite that memories it brings up i have carried it with me, and re-defined it over and again. the sign of an amazing song, at least to me, is a song that transcends time and place, or even what the songwriter meant it to be. a song that you can turn on at different points of your life and discover something new in it. today it feels heavy, and sad, and full of a longing i have deep inside. and it calls to an itch to not be inside walls, a call of the road, of the ocean and of movement. today this song is making me cry.

america ~ simon and garfunkel

song of the day

1 comment:

Tom said...

The last verse always gets me. "I'm empty and aching and I don't know why/Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike ..."

You've described it perfectly ... as perfectly as something that's so indescribable can be described.

Say that three times fast ;)