Friday, September 26, 2008

my brain hurts a lot

five years ~ david bowie

"i think i saw you in an ice-cream parlour,
drinking milk shakes cold and long,
smiling and waving and looking so fine,
don't think you knew you were in this song.

and it was cold, and it rained,
so I felt like an actor,
and i thought of ma,
and i wanted to get back there.
your face, your race,
the way that you talk,
i kiss you, you're beautiful,
i want you to walk."

andrea put me in a bowie mood early this morning with her song post about life on mars, and he's stuck in my ears and cerebreal soundtrack cortex all day. i've had various favorite bowie songs over the years, some for very personal reasons, and others due to memories, both good and bad, and then others are due to the amazing storytelling that exists in the context of a five minute or less song.

i experience songs and music with all of my senses, and when they hit hard and deep, i see them visually; tiny flickers on the screens behind my eyelids, changing scenes with every blink. i take the images that my imagination creates and i meld them with my own stories, and sometimes i write them out, and sometimes i hold them so close inside of me that they take my breath away when i hear them.

five years is one of those songs.

1 comment:

Oisin Lunny said...

Yes - truly outstanding song.... think of this a lot these days

x